Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not cut out for public speaking...

So last night I had to give a speech in my recreation class. For our final, we have a 10 page paper due on something relating to recreation & leisure, and how it will change or be affected by the year 2028. But we also had to give a 4 1/2 minute speech on our topic. Not really a difficult speech...not too many requirements and just the history of our subject, why we are interested, and our prediction for the future.
I did my topic on high movie ticket prices and movie pirating. I was freaked out about the speech all day...I DO NOT like public speaking. I took a speech class freshman year, and loved it. I think it was easier because that class was probably a third of the size of my rec class, and we all got to know each other really well. I signed up to go second, and when I started talking, I just felt my face turn beet red. I was burning up, probably from the 50 sets of eyeballs burning my face. As you can probably guess, I don't like being the center of attention. My hands and voice both shook, and it felt like my brain was not working with my mouth...but rather that my mouth was just spitting out words. I am not entirely sure how I did, because it was almost like I blacked out during the speech...can't quite remember it. So if I did bad, I will just have to rely on my writing skills to compensate.
Sounds like a whole lot of freak out over 4 minutes and 30 seconds doesn't it? Well, I can promise one thing: I will NEVER EVER pursue a career which involves much if any public speaking.

2 comments:

erika said...

It was probably good to go second...now it is over and you don't have to stress about it anymore. I don't like public speaking either...it makes me so nervous!

Modern Crush said...

Ahhhh!!!! I feel like you are telling a story about me!!! I remember hight school being the worst for public speaking. All I could ever think about was what everyone else was thinking. I never gave a speech that wasn't miserable. When I took Speech in college I decided to be tactical about it so I picked the one that was the very earliest in the morning - 7 or 7:30am I think, because I knew everyone would be asleep and no one would be listening. It worked! And I actually kinda enjoyed it!