Tuesday, June 12, 2007

INtense

Look up intense in the dictionary and this is what you get:
-adjective
strenuous or earnest, as activity, exertion, diligence, or thought
Ex: Chelsea having 3 interviews in one day.

There are few things that I hate more than interviews. And the only one that is coming to mind at the moment is pain. Extreme pain. But to interviews ARE pain. Stress, being put on the spot, and having 15 minutes to make a great impression.

Well, it must be that since I have such a passionate hate for these stupid things that I would have such a frustrating day. First, I go the Beach Chalet, an upscale brewery and restaurant across the street from Ocean Beach, donning my new outfit, with interview and application in hand, overwhelmed by stress. When I went to the restaurant to pick up the application the previous week, I was told by the host that open interviews were between 10 and 1. After a night of horrible sleep, I woke up early just so I could there at 10 to beat any others waiting to be interviewed. Once I get there however, I was told that interviews are not between 10 and 1...nope they are between 2 and 5. PERFECT.

Next was the interview for Little Star Pizza, which actually went pretty well. A tipped position with approximately $15 per hour, a very friendly owner, good menu...not a bad option.

2 o'clock came around, so I went back to Beach Chalet. It was really lame-barely an interview. I met with this British guy who was "pre-screening" for the hiring manager. I didn't feel like this was the place for me, all the workers just seemed snooty and unfriendly. He kept saying that it was a high stress job and having no restaurant experience would make it difficult, blah blah----duh I am not an idiot!!

At 3:30 I had a set interview with Pasta Pomodoro, a chain Italian restaurant. There are 5 or 6 in the city, and I had applied to one about 1 mile from where I live. I got there about 5 minutes early, and asked the girl at the register for Leah, and that I had an interview. She looked at me like I was absolutely crazy, turned around and whispered to her co-workers, asked me again what I was here for, then went to ask a manager. Turns out, Leah was from a completely different location, but apparently thought I was a mind reader because she never mentioned this minor detail. At this point I was frustrated, tired, hungry, and just wanted to go home. I drove over to the other location, about 10 minutes away. But when I was about 2 blocks away, there was a huge traffic jam...police swarming everywhere, buses stopped-just a complete mess. They sent me on this crazy detour (not very familiar with this area of town by the way) and I FINALLY got to the restaurant. Apparently something along the lines of some guy resisting arrest and beating up a cop and getting beat up by cops himself.....that was what was causing all the traffic.

Anyways, I had the interview, and the only good thing that came out of this day was that I was so over interviews and ready to be done that I was not even nervous anymore. I would have to start as a cashier, and then if I did well I could be bumped up to server in a week, or a month, or six months.....I am going back for an interview tomorrow.

Why do the simplest things have be so complicated and frustrating sometimes?

Well anyways, glad the day is over. Got through 3 interviews. I have 1 tomorrow, and 1 Thursday-I hope someone wants to hire me!

No comments: